top of page



Foreigners who want to settle down in Uruguay may enter: as unaccompanied baggage without charge and in a condition of loading: clothes, used personal belongings, books and newspapers, furniture and other goods for domestic use; and tools, machines, devices and instruments necessary for the exercise of their profession, art or trade, individually considered. The enjoyment of the benefit is subject to the previous verification of the activity developed by the traveler.

The custom process is free and can be done personally or through a representative.


Unaccompanied baggage must arrive in the Customs Territory within three months before or until six months after the arrival of the traveler and will only be released after the arrival.


  • Arrive in the condition of load and from the same origin of the traveler.

  • The procedure can be done by the interested person or his/her authorized representative by the power of attorney.

  • It should begin with the presentation to the Customs Authority of an electronic GEX file with the following documentation, application for admission, a list of personal effects intervened by the Consulate of the country where you reside and proof of entry to the country granted by the Migration Directorate.

  • The luggage will remain in storage until authorization.


For foreigners, as long as they are not granted permanent residence in the country, their assets may be admitted under the Temporary Admission regime and will be asked for a guarantee due to the corresponding taxes and it will be returned once the final residence in the country has been proven. The process is done by the interested party or who represents it, with the Customs Authority. 



Before entering the country you must apply at the Uruguayan Consulate of the country of origin for the intervention or the visa of the list of personal effects to be transferred.


Once in Uruguay, the procedure can be carried out by the interested party or by his authorized representative by Notary Power Letter. The documents needed to be presented to the Customs Authority are:

  1. application form

  2. list of personal effects intervened by the Consulate.

  3. the record of admission to the country granted by the Directorate of Migration. (Certificate of Arrival).


The luggage will remain in storage until the corresponding authorization.


A foreigner who comes to the country can enter a vehicle only if their situation falls within the provisions of articles 2 and 3 of Law 16.340:

  • Being retired 

  • Receive a minimum of U$S 1,500 (one thousand five hundred dollars of the United States of America) per month for retirement or other foreign-generated income.

  • To have acquired a real estate property for home occupation in the Uruguayan territory, which must have a minimum value of U$S 100,000 (one hundred thousand dollars of the United States of America) and may not be sold during a period of ten years. The value of the property referred to shall be accredited by means of reliable evidence.

  • Otherwise, having acquired in Uruguay public bonds issued by the Government of Uruguay for a minimum nominal value of U$S 100,000 (one hundred thousand dollars of the United States of America) which will remain in custody at the Banco de la República Oriental del Uruguay for a minimum period of ten years. However, at any time the property may be exchanged for public securities and vice versa, as well as any of them for another investment, always in amounts not less than those mentioned above. 

(*) If the country of residence is Brazil, the documents must be apostilled.

In the city of Porto Alegre there are three Tabelionatos where you can ask for this procedure:


  • First Tabelionato: tel (51) 30795300

  • Tercer Tabelionato: tel (51) 321233876

  • Noveno Tabelionato: tel (51) 33312535



Before leaving, in the country of origin:

  • Uruguayan Consulate: see map here


Then, upon arrival in Uruguay:

  • Customs in Montevideo: Rambla 25 de agosto de 1825 nº199. Access Yacaré, Ground Floor. Hours: 9 am to 5 pm.

  • In the rest of the country: at any Customs Administration located at the point of entry to the country.


More information: 

bottom of page